Friday, January 21, 2011

The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks

This book was recommend to me by a friend.. this friend and I no longer speak civilly. The reading of this story is pretty much subjecting yourself to the most vile and horrendous literary sadism in existence. I nearly had paper cuts on my eyes, so many times did I fall asleep while reading. Basically, it's Lord of The Rings, sans talented writing. If I had not chosen it to write an essay on, I probably would have destroyed it with a small razor, a bucket of lighter fluid and a match. Well, I had to write an essay on it and it was from the school library, and I know the librarian would have made me go out and buy the $40 hardback cover cause she's an extortionist with waaaaaaay too much power to abuse.

Anyways, the story starts off in the small, peaceful area of the Shir-- err, Shady Vale, where a Hobb-- ahem, a half-elf named Shea Ohmsford is warned by a mysterious traveler who also happens to be a wiz-- sorry, a druid, that danger is coming and that he must flee his home to the sanctuary of Rivende--- AACHOOO, Culhaven, a sanctuary. The druid, Gand-- Allanon, also warns Shea that evil and powerful creatures will be pursuing them. Oh yes, and Shea also happens to be the last heir to the royal Elven house of Shannara, and therefore the only one who can wield the legendary Sword of Shannara which has the power to destroy Saur-- excuse me, Brona, the Warlock Lord/Spirit King.

Okay, as you can tell from my many dashes, there are many similarities between this and JRR Tolkien's masterpiece. And by similarities I do mean the whole fridging (thanks for use of your word, Randy) plot.

The story continues with Shea and his adopted brother Flick = Sam, traveling while being pursued by Skull Bearers = Naz'ghul, and then meeting up with their friend, Menion Leah = Aragorn, who is the heir to the highland kingdom of Leah. Menion accompanies the brothers through various perils, including an encounter with a tentacled, fanged beastie = Moria gate monster. Eventually, they make it to Culhaven where a council is held, and it is decided that Shea, accompanied by a band of companions of varying races, will head north to the fortress of Paranor where the sword is held.

The members of this company are: Menion Leah - Aragorn, Hendel - Gimli, Durin and Dayel - Legolas, Menion Leah - Aragorn, Balinor - Boromir, Shea and Flick = Frodo and Sam, as well as trusty Allanon to guide the way.

That's good enough I suppose... Let's just say also that the ending is anti-climatic and boring... As my friend says, "It's a story that could easily be written in 16 pages and be written better.

My motto is sentio non quo tendo quod deficio, sentio qui deficio experior, Judge not those who try and fail, judge those who fail to try. And yet, I feel it has no application in this case.

No comments:

Post a Comment